What is a Divorce Name Change Kit?

By | April 15, 2008

Under certain circumstances, one may wish or require to change their name or regain a previous name, such as perhaps a maiden name. One must officially register their new name with the appropriate authorities whether the change was made as a result of a court order, marriage, divorce, adoption, or any other legal methods.. In addition to government agencies such as, the social security office, passport office, post office, and one’s local department of motor vehicles-the new name must also be registered with additional entities such as one’s employer, bank, doctor, and credit card companies. There may also be others that pertain to you.

Although state requirements differ, it is generally recommended to first register a new name with the social security office as some states’ motor-vehicle departments require an updated social security card to make the change. In addition, many states require name changes to be registered with their department of motor vehicles within a certain time frame.

Definition of Divorce Name Change Kit.

You can find various examples of Divorce Name Change Kits here.

Remember that some states don’t require any paperwork at all when changing your name after divorce. Instead, they permit you to simply go back to using your former name. In these jurisdictions, so long as you use your former name consistently, you do not need to file anything further with the state.

As with all name change situations, however, you should be sure to update all of your identification and personal records, including the following:

  • Social Security card, if you have any problems with it, we suggest to contact https://www.cataniaandcatania.com/sarasota/social-security-disability-attorney/ before proceeding.
  • Driver’s license
  • Passport
  • Bank and other financial accounts
  • Credit cards
  • Mortgages/deeds
  • Insurance policies
  • Utility bills
  • Phone/cable bills
  • Student loans
  • School/work, including payroll and retirement plans
  • Voter registration
  • State tax authority (IRS is notified automatically through the SSA)

Also, be sure to retain proof of your former name such as your birth certificate or old passport in case you need it.